Fire permits are required for all fires on Public Conservation Land other than for an approved campground fire or a fire lit for cooking or warmth.
1km Fire Safety Margin and a continuous year-round Restricted Fire Season are on areas that are:
- Registered Forest Areas in the Otago Rural Fire District; or where a forest owner has made suitable arrangements regarding fire control with Otago Fire and Emergency
- High value conservation areas as identified by the stakeholder organisations
- High risk or high value areas as identified by Otago fire reduction assessment.
Contact for details and Maps: www.otagoruralfire.org.nz (external link)
A Prohibited year round Fire Season applies to:
- Mount Iron
- Ruby Island, Stevensons, Mou Waho and Mou Tapu Islands, Lake Wanaka
- Albert Town Recreation Reserve and Campground
Otago, Fire and Emergency New Zealand
85 Castle Street
0800 673 473
www.otagoruralfire.org.nz (external link)